Pig Industry Update
We are writing to you to update you on relevant matters that are likely to affect the pig industry in the foreseeable future;-
- Demand for pork is excellent and we are currently slaughtering approximately 30% more pigs than we were this time last year.
- We have considerably reduced our in-house pig herd in an effort to support 3rd party pig production further.
- We foresee pork demand in the hotel & catering sector, the retail sector and various contractual commitments we have entered into, continuing to be strong and we do not foresee a reduction in slaughter numbers in the foreseeable future.
- Whilst animal feed raw material is in extremely short supply, particularly wheat and its by products, we will continue to produce 300 tons of feed weekly, at cost, in an effort to ensure you maximize returns.
- Feed raw material pricing is volatile and we have increased all producer pricing with effect from the 11th of September, 2013 to support you further in this area.
- We continue to make available breeding stock from our Danish genetics when this is required, in an effort to improve the industry’s genetics and thus your efficiency.
- As the majority of you are aware our Pig Procurement Department consists of a team of well experienced competent individuals whose sole job description is to communicate with all producers, taking orders for slaughter pigs and offering advice on all matters related to good pig management.
- We have been developing a detailed database of those producers in the country making up the pig industry, and we are keen to continue to work on this database with accurate statistics pertaining to the number of producers there are and their herd profiles so if you have not already emailed us with this information or if there are any significant changes, please do so at
- As forward planning is key not only to our own success but to your efficiency we would ask you to let our Pig Procurement Department know in as accurate a manner as possible, when your pigs will be ready for slaughter so as to allow us to slot these into our slaughter schedule, as soon as they achieve the correct slaughter weight.
- Last but not least if any producer has any problems or queries whatsoever please do not hesitate to contact us either through our Pig Procurement Manager’s email
. or directly through the Managing Director on email